Mother and Child
Open your eyes to your humanity,
therein is the hope to find
that which is good amid the darkness.
The Child
Born of humanity, I am human, failed
and frail; the Source breaths life, I
am here.
Born of love, I am love, blessed and
beautiful, hand of the Source upon
my soul, I am touched by grace.
The Mother
I wanted everything to be right. Yet, try
as I might, I could not. I loved you so,
but it was not enough.
How often did I lose my patience, raise
my voice, lift my hand, walk out the door?
How often did you need me to hold you,
but anger stood in the way?
How often did I weep silent tears, because
I wanted everything to be right,
but could not make it so?
The Child
Perfection is not mine, not yours. I
would not have it be so.
To strive for perfection a great folly, for
perfection has little to teach.
The Mother
I wanted to give you so much more.
I wanted to teach you compassion for
others, to give you the wisdom
to see the danger ahead of you.
I wanted to teach you to love and
be loved, to show you the
beauty around you.
The Child
And so you have taught me, and I have
learned much from the lessons of humanity.
For how can I be compassionate if I have not
known pain? How can I see dangers
if I have not known fear?
How can I value love, if I have not
known its sacrifice? How can I recognize
beauty if I have not also seen the ugliness?
You have taught me that which
perfection could not.
Lessons born of a legacy, often
wrought with pain, driven by hope,
confounded by love.
The Mother
I had hoped it would be different, that
I would be different.
I hoped the lessons would be easier
for you than they had been for me.
The Child
Born of humanity, you are human, failed
and frail; the Source breathes life, you are here.
Born of love, you are love, blessed and
beautiful; hand of the Source upon your soul,
you are touched by grace.
I celebrate humanity, yours and mine.
© 1995

No comments:
Post a Comment