Friday, January 15, 2010

I Am

Written many years ago...but thought it an apt, if not bizzare introduction to me and my musings. When I wrote it, it was a personal declaration of independence, of my right to be me - good, bad or indifferent; to be both who I was, who I was not, and who I might become. It came at a time when I was trying to find my place in the cosmos.


I am
I am all that I am in this moment, and all that I've
ever been -- the infant reaching out for love;
I am 9 and 13 and 17 and 30.
I am my greatest moment, love, pure light. I am
compassion and hope. I am truth.
I am my closest friend; my worst enemy.
I am hate. I am fear and spite and vengeance.
I am bitter and unkind and thoughtless.

I am, because of all that I am not, was not, will not be. I am
the product of choices not made, paths not
taken. I am life without beginning or end,
confined not by birth or death.

I am the time forgotten. I am the hope unspoken.
I am the unknown truth, the dream not yet dreamed.
I am all that is infinite and eternal, limited only by
my willingness to see and hear, to accept
and act, to remember -- I am a child of God,
created in his image.

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved your poetry, and this one never grows old on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is AWESOME! when you sent it to me I actually printed it out and put it on the wall above my computer. Its very very good N. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. more moving than I have words to express.

    ReplyDelete

Nance's book montage

Play With Your Food
Composing a Life
Possessing the Secret of Joy
Griffin & Sabine - An Extraordinary Correspondence
God at the Edge: Searching for the Divine in Uncomfortable and Unexpected Places
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
Coming into the End Zone: A Memoir
Crucial Conversations
Magnificent Spinster
A Reckoning: A Novel
The Education of Harriet Hatfield
Plant Dreaming Deep
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Basically True Story
The Laws of Spirit: A Tale of Transformation
Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Jurassic Park
The Hunt for Red October
The Silence of the Lambs


Nance (aka's favorite books